Bellflower Infinity Scarf – Free Pattern!!!!

My Bellflower Infinity Scarf Pattern is probably my most popular design. It has been offered as a free pattern on Naturally Caron’s website and sadly Caron yarns has discontinued their line of Naturally Caron yarns and pulled their website and along with it, all their free patterns.  So I am posting the pattern here for free on my blog.

The Bellflower Infinity Scarf was made originally in Naturally Caron Joy! yarn, but you can make it in any worsted weight yarn.  The softer the yarn, the better– I recommend a yarn with a bamboo blend for a nice drape.  You can have fun experimenting with lighter and heavier yarns and just see what you like. Just remember that a lighter yarn is going to result in a narrower and shorter scarf and a bulkier yarn is going to result in a wider and longer scarf, so plan accordingly.

Bellflower Infinity Scarf

JOY3-11c_sea_spr_scrf_791low rez

Bellflower Infinity Scarf

Designed by Carrie Carpenter

SKILL LEVEL: Easy

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS:  Scarf measures approximately 8″/20.5cm wide x 58″/147.5cm around

YARN: Naturally Caron.com JOY! (70% Acrylic/30% Bamboo; 3oz/85g, 165yds/288m):

#0007 Aquatica: 3 balls

CROCHET HOOK: One size US H-8 (5mm)

GAUGE: Gauge is not critical for this project.

STITCHES USED: Chain (ch), double crochet (dc), slip stitch (sl st)

DIRECTIONS

Ch 32.

Row 1 (RS): Dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as dc), *sk next 2 ch, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next ch, sk next 2 ch, dc in next 2 ch; repeat from * across, turn—4 pattern repeats.

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), sk first dc, dc in next dc, *sk next 2 dc, dc in next dc, ch 1, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, dc in next dc, sk next 2 dc, dc in next 2 dc; repeat from * across, turn.

Row 3: Ch 3, sk first dc, dc in next dc, *sk next ch-1 sp, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch-1 sp, sk next ch-1 sp, sk next dc, dc in next 2 dc; repeat from * across, turn.

Row 4: Ch 3, sk first dc, dc in next dc, *(3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next ch-3 sp, sk next 2 dc, dc in next 2 dc; repeat from * across, turn.

Repeat Rows 2–4 until piece measures about 58″/147.5cm. Do not fasten off.

Joining Row: Fold piece, bringing first row up to meet last row, working in chains across opposite side of foundation ch and sts of last row (through both thicknesses), sl st in each st across to join piece into a ring.

Fasten off.

FINISHING: Using yarn needle, weave in all ends. Block lightly, if desired.

Bellflower Infinity Scarf Stitch Chart

Closeup1

Advertisements

79 thoughts on “Bellflower Infinity Scarf – Free Pattern!!!!

1. tricia urycki says:

I’m not sure what you mean by blocking.. Could you please email me and let me know..

2. […] by Carrie Carpenter. This pattern, and more, I discovered, are available for free on her blog. It was a really easy pattern and I whipped it up in three evenings. Very quick and easy to do. The […]

3. Robyn says:

I had this scarf in mind for a Christmas gift this year so thank you very much for posting the pattern! Too bad Caron can’t keep the old patterns even if they don’t carry the line anymore!

4. Laura says:

They’ve put up all or most of their free patterns on the new Yarnspirations website. I am really upset that they’ve discontinued their Joy! yarn, though. I made the most beautiful shawl for my sister out of it just recently, and I would love to use it again.

• Carrie says:

I loved the Joy! yarn. I’m sad that they discontinued All of their NaturallyCaron line of yarns (Spa and Country, along with Joy!) and didn’t put any of the free patterns that were in the discontinued yarns up on the new site. People can substitute the yarns.

5. ashley says:

Thanks for the awesome pattern! I just finished making it to the length needed and its gorgeous but I’m not quite able to figure out the joining together part. My foundation row is straight and the last row wavy and things just don’t seem to be lining up when I try to join them. Is there something I’m missing that I need to do before joining with the slip stiches? Each time I do it I end up with extra length from the last row…Your video doesn’t work for me if that shows it…any ideas please? Thank you!

• Carrie says:

Even though one end is straight and the other wavy, when you stitch them together, it will come out fine. Just match up carefully stitch for stitch and sew across. If it’s still not lining up, line up your farthest end before you start stitching and you can work your extra stitches in as you sew across.

6. Amy says:

I am going to try this pattern for a Christmas gift this year and am looking forward to stitching it. My question is, I would like make it a bit narrower so I am considering trying it with 3 pattern repeats instead of 4. When I tried to figure it out I came up w/chaining 25 instead of 32 to start, and ending the row 1 instructions after the 3rd set of two dc’s. Does that sound right? Have you ever made it narrower/do you know if the pattern will work out ok?

Thanks so much!

7. Nikki says:

I’m making my second one and I just love this pattern! However I noticed the chart does not match what the written pattens has for row 2. Just thought I should bring that to your attention. Thanks for the gorgeous pattern!!

8. Nadine says:

Thank you so much for posting the pattern here! I had printed it from the Caron site last year. It came out on 2 pages and now I can’t find the first page! I searched for it again online and eventually Googled it 🙂 Found it here. Thanks again! Now I can proceed to making my scarf!!

9. […] This was another great Ravelry find! The pattern is called the Bellflower Infinity Scarf, and was originally found on the Naturally Caron website however when the line was discontinued the site (along with the patterns) were removed. It can now be found on the Hooked on Crafting blog HERE. […]

10. I am new to crocheting, this is my first pattern. I’ve watched alot of tutorials on Youtube, I’m still learning how to read the pattern. One second row can you tell me what the DC in the next DC looks like. I’m guessing it means the same as the first row but instead of DC in CH, Its DC in DC that you made. Help…

11. Thank you so much!! I’m very excited to master this pattern. LOL!! I’ve been free-handing scarves and afgans with basic stitches, I’m really learning at this point how to read a pattern.

12. Sarah says:

Hi Carrie!

I am running a German blog (www.lotterliebe.de) for DIY and things I love and wanted to ask you if I may translate this great pattern in German and post it on my website? I just made it by myself and it’s awesome 🙂 Of course I would mention you as the designer and link the pattern to your name and website!

Thank you!
    Sarah

• Carrie says:

I’m glad you like the pattern, Sarah! You are more than welcome to post the pattern on your website. I’d be honored. Thank you!

13. Y says:

Hello! i love this pattern but i’m not entirely sure i am doing it right. Can you please attach pictures of the pattern close up? THANKS 🙂

14. Thank you Carrie for this pattern. I am sewing the ends together now and I am loving this scarf. I think I will start making a skinnier one today. My scarf is beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving.

15. Thank you so much for posting this. I had looked for it @ their “NEW” combo site and could not find it. What Caron did was NOT very nice. I’ve made this several times and it’s delightful.

16. dianne rubinstein says:

Hi, I am very excited to make this for my daughter but I am not certain about what “1 sp” means (in row 2 and also row 3). Thanks for your help

17. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful infinity scarf pattern. I’m making it as a Christmas present for my “fashion conscious” daughter. She had asked me a few months back if I could make her a scarf . She liked circle scarves she saw at Old Navy and Foreverer 21 and this is a beautiful pattern. I’m sure she will love it. Happy Holidays!!!!

18. Nicole says:

Thank you for posting this beautiful pattern!! The only problem I’m having is in the very beginning of Row 3. I have 3 dc before the first ch-1 space (including the ch 3 as a dc). I’m a bit confused because it say to skip the first dc, dc in the next dc, and then skip the ch-1 space.. Should I only have two dc before the ch-1 space??

• Carrie says:

Yes, you should have only 2 dc before the ch-1 sp. The ch-3 counts as your first dc. Where is says to skip the first dc and dc in the next dc, this just means to not place the dc in the in base of your ch-3. So in other words, make your chain 3 and dc in your next dc, then skip the ch-1 space. You will have two dc. I hope this helps! 🙂

19. skfaust says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is gorgeous! Can’t wait to try it.

20. Giorgia says:

Hi Carrie, I’m trying to make this beautiful scarf, but I have a question. Very stupid maybe, but I’m a quite new to crocheting.
    Row 2: sk the first dc. Which is the first dc? Is the one directly under the ch 3, so to say, or is the next one. I know, is not so easy to explain. Thank you, Giorgia

• Carrie says:

Giorgia, This is a very common question/area of confusion for a new crocheter. The first dc is the one directly under the ch 3. If you refer to the stitch chart, this should help illustrate this for you. I hope that helps. And I hope you enjoy making the scarf!

21. Laurie says:

Hi! I found this yarn online at Joann’s. They have 3 skein packages available in all colors! 🙂 I ordered some, so will be making this ASAP. If you search for this pattern at yarnspirations, it does come up with the others using the Naturally Caron yarn. Thanks so much – all your patterns are beautiful!

22. Laurie says:

I should clarify on how to find the patterns at yarnspirations – in the search box type in Naturally Caron, then choose Naturally Caron patterns from the search results. 🙂

• Carrie says:

Thanks for letting me know! It’s too bad they have these patterns so buried. Most people would never find them.

• Laurie says:

That’s true~it’s a shame to bury these patterns! IMHO, they should have discontinued the Simply Soft yarn and kept the Naturally Caron. I received the Joy! yarn from Joann’s yesterday, so I’ve started this for my friend’s b-day gift. Thanks for the pretty pattern, she’ll love it 🙂

23. Laurie says:

It is actually easier to find the Naturally Caron patterns at the new website, than I described above. The link to ALL the free patterns are at the bottom of the page under RESOURCES

24. Thanks for the guide. This will be good if I made my own like yours. Infinity scarf is a large, closed loop of fabric that can be worn in a variety of trendy ways. Thanks for sharing this post!

25. judithc2012 says:

Could this also be used as a snood or would I need to make it wider? If i need to make it wider how many chain will I need to begin. Hoping I can work out the pattern for myself after that.

• Carrie says:

At 8″ wide it’s probably a little narrow for a snood, but it depends on how wide you want it. To make it wider, make your beginning chain multiples of 7 plus 6.

• Carrie says:

Just want to make sure you saw the follow-up comments that the correct beginning chain is actually multiples of 7 plus 4.

26. Gail says:

I am thinking of making this lovely scarf using #1 fingering yarn. What do you think? If I use a larger crochet hook so that the gauge is the same?
    Thank you!

• Carrie says:

I think it would look great in a fingering yarn! It would be hard to get the gauge the same even with a larger hook. I would recommend experimenting with different hook sizes to get the appearance you want with the yarn you choose, and then adjust your beginning chain to reach the width you need. You want your beginning chain to be multiples of 7 plus 6.

• Gail says:

Thank you! I will do as you suggest and will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

• Carrie says:

Gail, I just want to correct that it should be multiples of 7 plus 4 for this.

27. Laurie says:

Hi Carrie, Please clarify the chain multiple for me-it seems to be a multiple of 7 plus 4 instead of 6? Thanks!

28. Carrie says:

Yes! Thank you for correcting me! It should be multiples of 7 plus 4! THANK YOU!!!!!

29. Laurie says:

Well, thanks for this beautiful pattern:)

30. Michellebff says:

how long does it usually take to finish?

• Carrie says:

It’s hard to say because everyone crochets at different speeds. I would probably finish this in 2 or 3 evenings if I were working on it while sitting and watching tv. Others might take a longer.

31. Meredith says:

Hi there! After the directions for Row 1, it says, “4 pattern repeats”. what does this mean? It seams as if Rows2-4 get repeated for the length of the scarf. When does Row 1 come in again? Do Row 1 5 times in total before moving on to Row 2?
    Thanks for clarifying

• Carrie says:

The “4 Pattern Repeats” is a stitch count for the row. You can ignore it if you find it confusing. It is to let you know how many times the pattern stitch repeats across that row as a way to check your stitch count. You will do Row 1 only once. The pattern IS a repeat of rows 2-4. Row 1 establishes the pattern off of the foundation chain, so does not come into play again (but if you look closely, it is essentially the same as Row 4). So do Row 1 only once, then repeat rows 2-4 for the remainder of the pattern. I hope that clarifies:-)

32. Gena says:

I’m having a hard time figuring out row three- It seems like there should be three chain stitches in a row from row 2 but my stitches go ch dc ch dc ch. This is my first pattern so maybe I’m missing something!

• Carrie says:

I’m not clear what you are saying, but your best bet is to follow the stitch chart is you are having a hard time following the written pattern. The stitch chart should help a lot. If you aren’t sure how to read the stitch chart, the Craft Yarn Council has a list of what the symbols stand for right HERE.

33. Eva Bennett says:

DOES THIS PATTERN COME IN A KNITTED PATTERN.

34. Sandra says:

I have made quite a few of these for family and friends, and I LOVE the pattern. Thank You!!!!!

35. Amanda says:

Hi Carrie, thank you so much for this pattern! It’s beautiful! I’m currently about 6 inches in and I think I might be making a mistake. When the pattern says “in the next ch-1 sp” does that mean the space the previous ch created or the actual ch itself?

• Carrie says:

It means in the space created by the chain you made in the row below. Look at the row you just made and find where you made a (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) or a (dc, ch 1, dc) in that row. You are going to make your stitch(es) in the space created by the ch 1 in that grouping of stitches you made in the row below.

• Amanda says:

Thank you for the clarification! I’m still new to crocheting. Unfortunately I’m going to have to start over but that’s okay because I want to make it skinnier. I’m using Berroco Maya and it’s lovely.

36. so the pattern is free but how does one get it to print out so I can make it. I’m sure not going to write out all the instructions

37. Kerri Darby says:

Do you have a video tutorial?? I’m brand new to crochet and want to stitch this, but am sooooo lost!!

• Carrie says:

I’m sorry, I don’t have a video tutorial. You could try to follow the stitch chart if you are having a hard time following the written pattern. If you don’t know how to read the stitch chart, the Craft Yarn Council has a list of what the symbols stand for right HERE. I find that stitch charts help a lot because they give a visual representation of the stitch lay-out.

38. […] Source: Bellflower Infinity Scarf – Free Pattern!!!! […]

39. I cannot get the pattern to print out for me. Tried everything I can think of. Wonder if someone could send it to me e-mail.
    sewnutski62@yahoo.com

40. […] out this soft and feminine bellflower infinity scarf from Hooked on Crafting. Any color you want to make this in will look […]

41. […] found this great pattern from Hooked on Crafting while perusing Pinterest. What did I ever do before Pinterest was available?!?!? Seriously, I […]

42. […] Hooked on Crafting shows you how to make an adorable infinity scarf using a pattern full of yarn overs to create neat eyelet holes. We love the way larger and smaller holes contrast across the surface of the scarf, and we’re also pretty into the fact that you can wear it looped once or twisted several times and it’ll look cute either way. […]

43. […] Hooked on Crafting shows you how to make an adorable infinity scarf using a pattern full of yarn overs to create neat eyelet holes. We love the way larger and smaller holes contrast across the surface of the scarf, and we’re also pretty into the fact that you can wear it looped once or twisted several times and it’ll look cute either way. […]

44. Jenn says:

Hi Carrie! I have an Etsy account and I’m just making sure that it’s ok to sell scarves made from this pattern on there? It’s lovely! I’m making one as a gift right now.