I LOVE squash and zucchini, even though others in my house do not. But there are so few options for how to cook them. I started making this dish 10+ years ago, and even non-veggie lovers seem to like it. It’s a great mid-winter change-up from all those “same-old, same-old” canned veggies. Plus, it’s so easy to make!
- Cut your washed squash and zucchini into thin slices and put in microwave safe dish. (I like to use both veggies in the same dish for color, but it’s fine to use just one.)
- Put about 1/4 c margarine on top.
- Sprinkle the top generously with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder.
- Put lid on and microwave for 5 minutes. Stir and microwave an additional 2-3 minutes if needed. (For a small quantity, 5 minutes will be sufficient. For a larger quantity, such as what is pictured, the additional 2-3 minutes will be needed)
- TIP: For a really nice addition, add some slivered almonds prior to cooking. This creates an AMAZING dish! I got this idea after having green beans with almonds. I really liked the taste and the texture it added.